Registering as a Midwife in Manitoba

Midwives registered with another Canadian midwifery regulatory body

Inter-provincial Reciprocity

(applicants from other Canadian jurisdictions where midwifery is regulated)

The Agreement on Internal Trade ("AIT") was signed by the government of Canada and the provincial and territorial governments in 1994. It is a written agreement intended to make it easier for people, investments and services to move across Canada. Chapter 7 of the AIT, the Labour Mobility Chapter, says that a qualified worker in one province must be granted access to similar employment opportunities in another Canadian jurisdiction. Changes to the AIT were approved in January 2009, to take effect as of August 1, 2009. Those changes require all Canadian jurisdictions to accept workers in regulated professions from other Canadian jurisdictions without additional material training requirements. There are some exceptions to that general rule, discussed below, but essentially if a midwife in good standing from a province where midwifery is regulated is applying to become a midwife in Manitoba, the AIT provides that the midwife must be accepted in Manitoba.

For more information please contact the Registrar of the College of Midwives of Manitoba at  or (204)783-4520

Exceptions, as mentioned above include but are not limited to: the right to require a fee upon application and registration; the right to require a midwife to complete a local jurisprudence course; the right to refuse registration to a midwife who is not of good standing or where there is evidence of bad character; or the right to refuse registration where the midwife has terms, conditions and limitations that are not generally used in Manitoba. Midwives from certain provinces may be subject to additional requirements. Specifics regarding these exceptions are available at the following website:

If an applicant for registration in Manitoba is refused registration because she does not meet one of the non-exemptible registration requirements, that applicant is entitled to contact the official labour mobility contact in their home province for assistance.

Powered by in1touch